10-Week Modular Course on “Industrial Painting”
The Modular course is of 9 credits and is open to candidates who have either completed or are enrolled in a certificate level vocational course in any Engg. trade.
The theory and practical contents of this course are given below:
Paint Industry in India.• Importance of painting, painter & related works.• Health and safety precautions, safe working practices.• Tools & Equipment used in painting technique, their specifications & quality. • Various types of Putty, primer, paints, varnishes generally used for painting applications and their quality.• Importance of using proper tools & equipments.• Systematic use of various types of painting tools & equipment, spray guns, ford cup sets.• Necessity and type of help to Painter by Helper.• Waste disposal at work places.• Behavior at work place. Customer & their expectations while painting•Health and safety precautions, safe working practices and waste disposal at work place.• Corrosion: Causes of Corrosion. Types of Corrosion, its effect on metallic surfaces, purpose of Metal pretreatment.•Corrosion on different Metals both Ferrous and non ferrous. Factors affecting corrosion.• Economical loss due to corrosion.
Methods for the protection of Metal from corrosion.• Various methods of spray applications.• Adhesives like putties, Filler and metal cement for metallic paintings• Brushes, Description, sizes & uses.
Colour and tone perception. Effect of light on colour, warm/cold colours. Special considerations of colour scheme selection.• Quality & Finishing of Work: Importance of quality & finish of job at all stages. Protection of finish surfaces.• Economical use of material, calculation for quantity of paint required, costing & evaluation.• Behavioral etiquette• Health and safety precautions, safe working Practices and waste disposal at work place.• Spray Painting Equipments – different types of Spray Guns.• Method of spraying techniques on various surfaces.• Precautions in holding of Spray Guns & spraying stroke.• Maintenance of Spray Guns.
Method and application process of metal surface painting & finishing.• Various types of system of spray painting and their effect on metal surfaces.• Synthetic, Cellulose & Acrylic paints and finishing on metal surfaces.• Use of higher performance coating like Chlorinated rubber & Epoxy paints.
Treatment of various defects arising while spray painting and their remedies such as lifting, checking, craking wrinkling.• Airless & Electrostatic spraying: Description and safety precautions.• Handling of paints for Electrostatic spraying.• Paint used in Electrostatic spraying. Behavioral etiquette• Calculation for quantity of paint required, costing & evaluation. • Health and safety precautions, safe working practices and waste disposal at work place.• Basics of MSDX• Theory related to methods of testing paints and varnishes• Material Safety Data Sheets• Processes of pretreatment of metals, wood and wall surfaces. Pre treatment processes on ferrous and non ferrous metals, casting and sheet metal• Processes of painting different types of machines, tools and equipments.• Various colour codes and identification of pipe lines as per international & industrial standards.• Standard colour code practices.• Spray painting on Machines Automobiles & Domestic appliances.• Use of high performance coatings.• Painting problems and their resolutions• System of storage of paints & lacquers, solvents, thinners, painters tools.• Maintenance of store records, quality assessments of materials and man power requirements for painting jobs. Preparing cost estimates.
Use of protective clothing and equipment and carry out safe working practices • Apply good housekeeping practices, proper handling of materials and waste disposal.• Identify and familiarize with tools & equipments used in painting.• Identify and familiarize with various types of raw materials used in painting e.g. paints, Putty, Varnishes • Use of tools, equipments used for painting.• Upkeep, care & maintenance of tools & equipments.• Familiarization with various types and conditions of painting surfaces e.g. wall, wood & metal etc.• Prepare basic surfaces: wall, metal and wood for good painting work.• Apply putty, paint varnishes and polish to the different surfaces by using proper application sequence.• Field visits to locations where painting is going on.• Use of protective clothing and equipment and carry out safe working practices.• Apply good housekeeping practices, proper handling of materials and waste disposal.• Demonstration and practical on Metal • Pretreatment such as Scraping, Rubbing by Emery cloth, Wire brushes, buffing, pickling, phosphating, and Blasting etc.• Practical on Metal surface preparation for painting by rubbing with emery scraping, wire brushing, Manual chipping & by portable Grinder.• Descaling of Metal surfaces and flame cleaning of rusted surfaces.
• Demonstration and Practical on Pretreatment of Ferrous & nonferrous surfaces by degreasing, etching, pickling & solvent wiping• Preparing surface for primary coat of different metals. Practicing by brushes of various sizes • Cleaning & wiping of different surfaces to be painted to the required standard.
• Practical on Preparation of Adhesive Compound like putties, filler and Metal, Cement and applying them on as metal surfaces.• Primary painting & finishing painting by Brushes of Metal surfaces.
• Practical on Selecting, Mixing, Tinting & preparing of all types of oil paints/water paints synthetic paints & other paints to obtain specific colours.• Practical on Rectifying the Common Coating Failures & repairing of various painting defects.• Use of protective clothing and equipment and carry out safe working practices.• Apply good housekeeping practices, proper handling of materials and waste disposal.• Demonstration on Handling of different types of spray painting machines in different types of painting booths
• Practicals on Pretreatment, applying of primer coats & spray painting on metal surfaces & finishing work• Practicals as Spray painting on different surfaces like corners, round, parallel, curved surfaces angles, rectangular, cone, cylinder, square.• Adjustment of spray gun stroke and holding spray gun for multipurpose work.
• Spray painting with Compressed Air Atomisation.• Practice on different types of Spray Guns.• Practice of Airless & Electrostatic spraying by using different types of Electrostatic Spray Guns.• Practical on Testing of different paints and varnishes in respect of specific gravity, viscosity, hardness gloss, finish, adhesion, flexibility and drying time etc.• Practice on different types of spray booths.