The modular course is of 9 credits and is upon to candidates who have either completed or are enrolled in a certificate level vocational course in any Engg. trade.
The theory and practical content of the course is given below:
- Types of welding processes and application - Nomenclature of Fillet and groove welds - Welding terms and definitions - Oxy-Acetylene welding plant – description operating procedures, safety etc. - Types of metals and characteristics- Principles of shielded Metal Arc welding its advantages and limitations. - Tools, accessories and equipment for SMAW - Types of welding joints and edge preparation - Safety precaution in Arc welding
- Types of Oxy-Acetylene flames and their uses. - Chemistry of Oxy-Acetylene and flame temperatures - Oxy-Acetylene regulators – description and safe operating procedures - Oxy Acetylene welding blow pipes types description care and maintenance - Oxy Acetylene welding parameters – Blow pipe size, pressure setting and filler rod size for different sheet thickness- Principles of Oxy Acetylene cutting process - Selection of blow pipe size, pressure setting for various thickness of MS plates - Types & function of flux of shielded Metal Arc Welding electrodes and coating factor - Coding of SMAW electrodes as per BIS/AWS - Selection criteria of electrode types and diameter - Principle of welding Arc, its characteristics and Arc length - Arc welding procedure and technique
- Welding positions and their significance - Filler rods and fluxes for brazing and soldering Gas Welding Techniques - Distortion and methods of control- Inside corner joint on MS by SMAW in flat positions - Outside corner joint on MS by SMAW in flat position - Single ‘V’ but joint on MS by SMAW in flat position - Basic Electricity applicable to welding - Arc welding power source, AC Transformers, DC welding rectifier, Dc welding generator and their features - Care and maintenance of welding power source - Polarity – types and application
- Arc blow and its control - Metals and their Weldability - Necessity of pre-heating and post heating while wel- Welding defects causes and remedy - Inspection and testing of welding ding alloy steels
-TIG & MIG- Definition, Working Process, Advantage, Disadvantage & Application- Defects and their remedies-Resistance welding-Types of resistance welding- Spot & Seam RW- Definition, working process, Advantage, Disadvantage & Application
-Safety in Shop floor - Identification of tools and accessories used for Gas and Arc welding - Setting up of Gas Welding Plant - Opening and closing procedure of gas welding plant - Lighting and adjustment of Oxy-Acetylene flame - Beading practice on MS sheet with and without filler rod- Setting up Arc Welding pl- Striking an Arc and depositing straight and wearing beads on MS in Flat position
- Close square butt joint – on M.S. Sheet by gas welding in flat position - Open square butt join on M.S. sheet by gas welding in flat position
- Fillet T joint on M.S. Sheet by gas welding in flat position - Setting up Oxy Acetylene cutting plant and practicing gas cutting on M.S. plate
- Filler ‘T’ joint on M.S. flat by SMAW in flat position - Fillet lap joint on M.S. by SMAW in flat position
- Outside and Inside corner joint – on M.S sheet by gas welding in flat position - Brazing with Oxy-Acetylene flame - Silver soldering and Oxy-Acetylene flame- Inside corner joint on MS by SMAW in flat positions - Outside corner joint on MS by SMAW in flat position - Single ‘V’ but joint on MS by SMAW in flat position
- Pipe butt joint on MS pipe by Oxy-Acetylene welding in 1G position - Pipe to Sheet flange joint on MS by Oxy – Acetylene welding in horizontal – vertical position- Pipe butt joint on MS pipe by SMAW in 1 G position - Pipe to plate flange joint on MS by SMAW in horizontal – vertical position
-Lap joint on MS in flat position-Butt joint on MS in vertical position-V- joint on MS in horizontal position-Lap joint on GI sheet -Butt joint on GI sheet.